Treatments For Male Infertility
Treatments for Male Infertility
• Surgery. For example, a varicocele can be surgically treated. Male fertility improves in 30 – 35% of cases after varicocele surgical treatment. The abnormal extended veins are blocked off during this procedure to redirect the blood to move through the normal veins in the testicles.
In case no sperm is found in the ejaculate, sperm may often be aspirated under local anesthesia directly from the testicles or epididymis using sperm retrieval techniques such as TESA, TESE, PESA or MESA.
• Treating infections. Antibiotic treatment will cure an infection of the reproductive tract, but doesn't always restore fertility.
• Treatments for sexual intercourse problems. Medications or injections can improve fertility in conditions such as erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation.
• Hormone treatments and medications. Your doctor may give hormone replacement or medications in cases where infertility is caused by high or low levels of certain hormones.
• Assisted reproductive technology (ART). ART treatments especially IUI, conventional IVF, IVF + ICSI, IVF + IMSI, involve obtaining sperm through normal ejaculation, or surgical extraction from the testicles in case no sperm is found in the ejaculate or from donor individuals in case sperm is not even found after surgical retrieval procedures from the testicles, depending on each specific case and wishes.
The sperm is inserted into the female genital tract such as in IUI, or is used to do in vitro fertilization or intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection.
When the treatment in case of azoospermia doesn't work:
In rare cases, male fertility problems can't be treated, and it's impossible for a man to have a child. The only solution will be to consider using sperm from a donor to fertilize the partner’s eggs.
In case a donor sperm is used, blood type and phenotype matching is done between the donor and the man to choose a suitable donor who will look like the man. The donor has to be young and will undergo several blood tests to make sure that he is healthy before using his sperm. There are also several consent forms to be filled by the donor and the couple before using any donation. The consent forms have to be filled by both partners.